PhD McMaster University
M.A. Religious Studies B.A Religious Studies
Concordia University Concordia University
Montreal, Quebec Montreal, Quebec
August, 2016 May, 2013
Conferences & Lectures
2017 –Poster Session: American Anthropological Association
- “Virtually Dead: The Life and Death of Digital Representations”
2017 –Re-Storying Canada: Reconsidering Religion & Public Memory
- “Ghosts in the Machine: Engaging with the Dead in the 21st Century”
2017 –Crossing Over: Interdisciplinary Conference on Death
- “Digital Artifacts & Death: Understanding Post-Mortem Communication”
2015 – Guest Lecturer
- Reli 378: Death and Dying, “Online Memorials & Post-Religious Funerals”
2015 – McGill Centre for Research on Religion Conference
- “Religious Ritual and the Institutionalization of Death”
2014 – Annual Graduate Interdisciplinary Conference
- “Online Memorials: A Dialogue with the Dead”
2017 – Publication – Journal of Religion & Culture
- Cohen, Jeremy, 2017. “Privileging the Lens: Framing Islamic Violence and the Creation of Authoritative Discourses” in, Journal of Religion and Culture, vol. 27, no.1 pp. 35-50
2016 – Book Review – Journal of Religion & Culture
- Cohen, Jeremy, review of Partridge, Christopher. 2015. “Mortality and Music: Popular Music and the Awareness of Death” Bloomsbury Academic. pp. 240 in, Journal of Religion and Culture, vol. 26, no.1 pp. 94-97
2017-Present – TalkDeath.com
- TalkDeath’s mission is to encourage positive and constructive conversations around death and dying. It is the hub for a changing death conscious public. My roles as administrator include article research, editing, writing, and marketing.
2013-Present – #TalkDeath Webseries
- #TalkDeath is a webseries I created and host on YouTube. It aims to bridge the gap between death professionals and the general public. The series has hosted best selling authors, distinguished academics, death doulas, funeral directors, and others.
2007-2016 – Treeplantingblog.com
- Treeplantingblog.com is a collection of articles, photographs, tips and information about silviculture in Canada. It hosts 9 years of personal reflections and conversations about tree planting.
2013 – Public Exhibit
- “Grey Nuns: On Tourne la Page.” Ethnography and public exhibit of the Sisters of Charity including interviews, photographs and material documents in Montreal. http://www.hillarykaell.com/grey-nuns.html
2017 – Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- $12,000 fellowship grant from the Ontario government. Award granted to students with high academic achievements.
2017 – Digital Marketing Internship, McMaster University
- Year long internship developing a marketing strategy for the Department of Religious Studies. Goal is to increase awareness of the department.
2017 – Teacher’s Assistant, McMaster University
- Teacher’s assistant for undergraduate Religion & Humour course. Responsibilities include grading, holding office hours, student meetings.
2016 – Teacher’s Assistant, McMaster University
- Teacher’s assistant for undergraduate Religion & Culture course. Responsibilities include grading, holding office hours, student meetings.
2016 – Teacher’s Assistant, Concordia University
- Teacher’s assistant for undergraduate Holocaust & Literature course. Responsibilities include grading, holding office hours, student meetings.
2015 – Teacher’s Assistant, Concordia University
- Teacher’s assistant for undergraduate Death & Dying course. Responsibilities include grading, holding office hours, student meetings.